millerstownpa.com
Photo by : John Allison  @       Riverside Framing
Millerstown, Pennsylvania    - Cochran-Anspach HouseHistorical Society of Perry County Pennsylvania   The Cochran-Anspach house was built in 1821 by Isaiah Clark for Thomas Cochran, one of the first settlers ofMillerstown. This was the third stone house Cochran built. Thomas Cochran was born in 1776 in Londonderry, Ireland. He and his three brothers, who were Protestants, were forced to leave Ireland and come to this country. They owned considerable land in Ireland. A Catholic priest, who was a friend, was left in charge of their holdings. the eventual sale of which increased their already ample funds to the extent that the Cochrans became one of the largest land holders in Pennsylvania. The brothers came to Chester County and laid out Cochransville. however, Thomas came to Millerstown in 1798. Records state that Thomas Cochran was an an elegant looking gentleman of courteous and pleasant manners and an excellent penman. In 1802 he married Sophia Maria Porter of Lewistown who was born in Londonderry, Ireland in 1776. This couple had six children. The first stone house constructed in Millerstown by Cochran was the present Veterans of foreign Wars house in 1801. Here he kept store and a post office as well as a hotel. It was known as the Cochran Hotel. The first sermon preached in Millerstown was by Rev. John Liutchinson of Mifflintown in the barroom of the hotel in 1806 and was the beginning of the Presbyterian Church. The Presbyterian Church, constructed of stone was built in 1831 and 1832 on grounds donated by Thomas and Sophia Cochran. Cochran built his second stone house, now owned by Dr. David Buriak, on the northeast side of the square in 1813. He kept store in the house beside this one until 1834. At the time of his death in 1846, when he was seventy years of age, Cochran had vast land holdings in Pennsylvania as well as in Missouri. tie also owned bank stock in Harrisburg. According to his will, Thomas Cochran bequeathed the stone dwelling in Millerstown, all household furnishings, his riding horse and barouche, two much cows, and the income from 200 shares of bank stock to his wife during her natural life.At her death the furnishings were to be divided among his children and none else. His other holdings were willed to his surviving children. To his son Thomas Preston Cochran he bequeathed his farm in Pfoutz Valley, also the Daniel Hoffman farm, the stone house in Millerstown on the death of his mother, his church pew #56 and another pew #2, which was for the use of his mother and family. Thomas Preston Cochran was born 1813 in Millerstown. His primary education was received in the common schools in Millerstown, which he attended until he was ten years of age. lie then attended a preparatory school prior to entering Jefferson College. Due to failing eyesight he returned home after graduation and became a clerk in his father's store where he mastered the details of the mercantile business. On his father's retirement in 1835 Thomas Preston succeeded to the establishment and was a successful merchant. Later in life, Mr. Cochran disposed of the store and bought a farm in Greenwood Township where he busied himself in agricultural and mining pursuits. In the course of time he acquired the possession of seven farms. In 1864 he retired and moved to Millerstown. tie sold five of the farms retaining two of them. He continued to manage his iron ore mining interests. Thomas Preston was married in 1835 to Jane Patterson of Juniata County. She died in 1836 leaving one son, Robert F. Cochran. In 1839 Thomas Preston married Rebecca Black of Tuscarora Township who died about 1884 leaving five children. In 1886 Mr. Cochran married Hannah Maria Kauffman, a widow from Juniata County. After the death of Thomas Preston Cochran the property passed to Hannah. In 1916 this lot and stone house was sold to Hannah's son, Charles A. Kauffman. It eventually became the property of his daughter Anna Kauffman Anspach, born in 1883, married Irvin Anspach, a druggist of York Haven. They had one son Irvin Kauffman Anspach born in 1909. Anna and her husband were divorced in 1922. Kauffman and his mother lived in Harrisburg where he received his education. They returned to Millerstown in the 1950's. At the death of his mother the property reverted to Kauffman. He worked in Harrisburg for many years but lived in this stone house until his death in 1981. The dwelling was bequeathed to the historical Society of Perry County. The house was in a serious state of disrepair although structurally sound. It is being restored with painstaking care to the Victorian Era. The central hall with the suspended stairway is spacious. The large front door is enhanced with a graceful double arch of six panes each overhead. New lights of the Victorian Era have been installed on either side of the door as well as one above the door. There are four large rooms downstairs, each with a handsome fireplace. There are four large rooms upstairs and one small room to the front of the house. This arrangement was typical of houses built during the very early 1800's. Three of the upstairs rooms have fireplaces. The original wallpaper in all the rooms was elegant. An herb and flower garden is located on either side of the patio in the back of the house. The grounds are being restored to recapture the charm of a Victorian garden. The stone burrs which had been laid for a walk to the carriage house were grass- covered but this unusual walk has been restored.   Restoration Committee: David R. Patton, Flo Brofee, Marian Shade Wible
WELCOME !   
HOME HOME BORO GOV'T. BORO GOV'T. EVENTS EVENTS PARK PARK POOL POOL CONTACT CONTACT
millerstownpa.com
Photo by : John Allison  @       Riverside Framing