millerstownpa.com
Photo by : John Allison  @       Riverside Framing
Millerstown Borough Council  Meeting Minutes September 11, 2017 Those in attendance:  President Bill Roush, Vice President Rob Shipp, Council members Jackie Minium, Bruce Hengst and Donna Showers. Secretary Karen Knellinger, Plant Manager Dave Stroup, Jen Miller and Corey Salmon from HRG. President Roush presided; meeting called to order at 7:00 pm. Public and Private Concerns Resident Kirk Allison requested to be on the agenda but did not attend the meeting. Solid Waste Chair Minium contacted Cocolamus Creek Disposal owner and was advised the reason they need to pick up the trash at the early hour is the landfill closes at 9:30am. In addition, the early hour is safer for the workers with less traffic on the road. Chris Foose, Millerstown Fire department Chief and Amber Fegley, Millerstown Fire Department President spoke about the cost of turn out gear, tools, truck maintenance and breathing apparatus. To outfit one firefighter is approximately $12,000 each. They have fundraisers every month and make about $14,000 a year. In addition to volunteering for fundraising, there are trainings, certifications and maintenance that needs to be done. Their call volume has already exceeded the total calls of last year as of August. The tanker is 23 years old and will need to be replaced. They currently cost $400,000. The engine will need to be replaced after that which is around $600,000. Chief Foose would like to have a ten-year plan of replacement for the apparatus and gear. They have a grant writer and are applying for all available grants. He is asking for a fire tax specifically to support the volunteer fire company for the future. The only debt they have now is the F550 that was just purchased for $150,000 and they owe $85,000. In addition, the engine they owe roughly $60,000, and the building is paid. He assured Council the fundraising efforts will not stop if the fire tax is approved. He spoke with Tuscarora and Greenwood Township in both Perry and Juniata County. All would like to see a long-term solution. President Roush advised a decision will not be made tonight but the fiscal budget and planning for 2018 is currently in review. He would like to see the entire coverage area for the fire department share amongst all residents and not just the Borough. Council will review and let them know their decision.    The minutes from the last meeting were previously emailed and reviewed. Councilmember Hengst made a motion to approve the minutes as presented.  Councilmember Minium seconded the motion. Approval was unanimous. The bills/receipts/expenditures were reviewed. Councilmember Showers made a motion to approve the bills and expenditures. Vice President Shipp seconded the motion. Approval was unanimous.  Street Committee Report The Market Street paving project is complete and a meeting with the contractor was held. Most of the issues have been addressed. The contractor wants all overhead spouting and downspouts directed to the rear of the residences per Penn Dot. President Roush wants letters sent to South Market and all affected. Dave will get addresses. Dave is getting some hot mix for the bigger potholes. A letter was received from Clyde Smith on Iron Mountain Road. His driveway was damaged from a recent downpour because of plugged drain tiles. Dave investigated and found the water actually originated from the township side. The Council would like to turn back the road to the Township or the residents since only a half mile is the Boroughs and all the remaining is the townships. There is only one taxpayer for the Borough and the expense of the maintenance of the road is outweighed tenfold. Dave will get with Greenwood and get some quotes on tar and chipping the Borough portion.   Sewer Committee Report There was a small oil spill introduced to the sewer plant over the weekend. Dave caught it in time and had the pumping station cleaned out. This incident was not as severe as the major one but will still cost extra money. There was some discussion about the Sewer Authority assisting Dave in the drain inspections. No decision was made; Dave will talk with Chair Reilly. Water Committee Report Dave advises I&I is increasing and he is still trying to locate it.  Finance Committee Report The estimated Liquid Fuels payment for 2018 is $28,159.97 Budget planning sessions will need to be scheduled. Vice President Shipp will get back to Secretary Knellinger with some available dates. Solid Waste Report The Fall Clean Up day is Saturday October 7th from 8-12. Engineers Report Jen Miller, our former P.E. introduced Corey Salmon since Ben Shull is no longer with  HRG. He will be our new P.E. The chlorine conversion plan to be submitted to DEP is ready and President Roushs signature will need to be notarized.  Mayors Report After discussion, Trick or Treat will be on Saturday, October 28th from 6-8 and the Lions Parade will be on Thursday, October 26th.  Solicitors Report Solicitor Miner sent a letter stating if anyone is in an elected position uses Facebook to answer any questions or make comments; everything would then be considered public under the right to Know Act and would need to be disclosed. Old Business The barn roof replacement has begun. There have been some abandoned vehicle complaints. Secretary Knellinger needs addresses to send out letters. New Business The Minimum Obligation for PMRS the employee retirement was read and will stand as is. The Juniata Valley Bank needs to update signature cards. Council members need to go to the bank. Zoning Permits 17 School Street, deck A motion was made by Councilmember Showers to adjourn. Vice President Shipp seconded the motion. The next meeting will be held Monday, October 2nd at 7:00 PM. 
WELCOME !   
HOME HOME BORO GOV'T. BORO GOV'T. EVENTS EVENTS PARK PARK POOL POOL CONTACT CONTACT
millerstownpa.com
Photo by : John Allison  @       Riverside Framing